Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Board Certified MD
Experience:  15 years' clinical experience

I have a hard lump on my left hand at the base of the thumb.

Customer Question

I have a hard lump on my left hand at the base of the thumb. It makes it very hard to move my thumb at the upper joint of the thumb. I have run hot water over the joint and the lump at the base of my thumb and this helps for a little while
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: I have not had any other health issues. I work with my hands a lot. I play the guitar and this aggravates it. Running hot water over the area helps. I Am 66 years old and just retired
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have not called my doctor yet. I do take 4mg of Cardura once a day for enlarged prostate.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: My blood pressure is normal, I have no history in the family for cancer, both my parents lived long lives (85)
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Neurologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 5 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.This lump is not related to blood pressure or prostate problem. Given the firmness, thisi sl ikely arising from underlying tendon or bone layer. Likely a benign growth. Fibroma or fibrous tissue lump is likely. Given that you are having movment problem, the lump can be removed surgically. However this is not urgent. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile: