Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)

Yesterday, at work - out of nowhere, i felt a pop in the

Customer Question

yesterday, at work - out of nowhere, i felt a pop in the back of my head - at the base of my skull. then, it was like i was drunk. dizzy.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that makes your head feel worse or better?
Customer: well, i drove home - was dizzy the entire way. never dealt with this. very nervous (no insurance)... like i was driving drunk. never happened before. i am 42. feel coherent now (and last night after arriving home) - but sore in the back of my head (where pop was).
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: not yet - just happened. again, no insurance. take blood pressure meds.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: just high blood pressure
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Neurologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

What is your blood pressure levels at this time?

Do you get dizzy with change in head movements?

Shortness of breath?

Numbness in left arm/ shoulder?

What about blood sugar levels?

Any injury ?

Do you suffer from anxiety or severe stress?

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about your problems.

I can see that you are Online, so i am posting my answer.

Well, Such symptoms could be related with cervical spasm ,This can give you occipital pain as the muscles fuse into occipitalis at the base of the skull, and this neck tightness can become a headache , It is called cervicogenic headache and you can get lightheaded. Such spasm has caused pop sensation in back of head.

Other possible reasons are-

-Low blood sugar level
-Change in blood pressure level

-Inner ear issue (the inner ear is responsible for balance ) like Ménière disease.
- Neurological conditions

To make a diagnose, you need to undergo few tests -
-Blood sugar test,
-Blood pressure monitoring,
-Thyroid function test,
-Complete blood count.
-Ear examination- ear should be checked for inner ear problem.
Sometimes dizziness can be due to problem related with heart rhythm or brain problem but usually less often.
A thorough clinical examination and tests have to be done for precise diagnosis.

I would recommend you to firstly consult internal medicine doctor, then probably ear nose and throat doctor for diagnosis. If required they may refer you to Neurologist for clinical evaluation.
For the time, you can take Tab. Dimenhydrinate(Dramamine) for dizziness.It is OTC drug.

Also, muscle relaxant should be taken .As such you should be seen by your doctor, for checkup and further treatment.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards