Experience:  Pulmonary/ Critical Care at Boston University

I am a 39 year old female, I began having migraines when I

Customer Question

I am a 39 year old female, I began having migraines when I was 23 years old. They always were the same, they began with an aura in my left eye and lasted about 2-3 hours. Once I became pregnant at age 27 they pretty much went away. Until recently, I only had about 1 or 2 per year, triggered by allergy medicine or certain essential oils. However, about 6 weeks ago, I began having them regularly, I have had 4 in 6 weeks. These are different because now the aura is in my right eye and during the aura stage I am having muscle weakness on the right side of my body. They still only last about 2-3 hours and the head pain is about the same as all the other migraines I have had. I had a cat scan about 2 weeks ago and that was negative. Should I be worried?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 5 months ago.
Hello.This is Dr. Diego, experienced in Internal medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care. I understand your concerns. Migraines trend to maintain the same characteristics overtime. However sometimes they can change. When the migraine changes the main concern is a tumor, in your case you already had a CT scan and that rules out a tumor. Now that you had a normal CT scan, other factors should be included as possible causes for the worsening in symptoms. Stress, dental problems, hormonal changes and medications can cause a migraine to get worse. You shouldn't be too worries about the migraine specially after a normal CT scan. Try to see if stress is playing a role on your migraine. Let me know if you have any other questions. Please rate my answer.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, I'm glad to hear that. I have noticed that after these recent migraines I have an increased amount of floaters in my eyes.. I visited the eye doctor and he ruled out any eye issues. Should I just ignore these new migraines? If not, what type of Doctor should I see to check for the other issues you mentioned?
If the migraine does not improve or gets worse you should see a neurologist. Sometimes medication can be prescribed to decrease the frequency of attacks. Let me know if you have nay other questions. Please rate my answer.
Please rate my answer