Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I am a 68 year old male who has run non stop past 48

Customer Question

i am a 68 year old male who has run non stop for the past 48 year basically injury free.
i have also done upper and lower body strength exercises, plus stretching for that period.
but, in december 2015 i thought i had hurt my back. two visits to my primary care doctor said the same. on december 17, 2015 my wife convinced me to take my temperature which was 103.7. a visit to a local fort lauderdale ER proved that i didn't have a bad back but rather a staph to my spine. After 9 days in the hospital followed by 6 weeks at home with a drip iv i feel fine except my running. the infection did erode 2 vertebrae.
before this illness i ran 35-40 miles a week at an 8-9:45 pace. during races my pace was middle to low 7 minutes per mile.
today in recovery i have worked up to about 20 miles a week at about 11;45- 12:00 minutes per mile. my body feels fine but i just seem unable to get in shape.
my vital signs are back to normal, pulse 38-40 bpm, bp 110/65.
i realize i am lucky to be alive and not confined in a wheelchair for the rest of my life.
but, will i every get back to my prior condition or is that unrealistic? your thoughts would be appreciated.
vic beninate
fort lauderdale, fl.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question.Have you had any MRI of your lower spine?What symptoms are you having at the moment?Please let me know.Regards