Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine

My mother who is 78 has tingling in her fingers on one hand.

Customer Question

my mother who is 78 has tingling in her fingers on one hand. says it feels like they are asleep. should i be concerned?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question.Can you please let me know exactly which fingers are feeling this way?Are all the fingers including the thumb affected or only the thumb, index and middle finger affected?Does she have any other medical problems?Is she on any medications for anything at the moment?Please let me know.Regards
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
index,middle and thumb on right hand meds simvastatin 20mg daily
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information.She is having what is called as "carpal tunnel syndrome" which is a condition of is a hand and arm condition that causes numbness, tingling and other symptoms. Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by a pinched nerve in your wrist.Diagnosis is confirmed clinically and usually no tests are required.Sometimes a nerve conduction study is done to confirm diagnosis when in doubt.There are various treatment options:Wrist splintNSAIDs (anti-inflammatory medications)Corticosteroid injection in the path of the nerve to reduce inflammation.Surgery: If the above fail, the final option is surgery which is a simple surgery that relieves pressure on the nerve.For more details please read from the following link: session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards