Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have been having a really strong headache now days continuous. If I take pain

Customer Question

Hi
I have been having a really strong headache now for 8 days continuous. If I take pain relief it will decrease slightly sometimes but is still there. I went for a ct scan and all was clear but I can't seem to shift this headache. It's at the back of my head of lower left side slightly above the neck. Please any advice to shift this I will be truly grateful.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.
HelloWelcome to Justanswer website.Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern Is there any particular aggravating factor by which this headache increases?Any other known medical illness?
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.
Dear customerThank you for coming back online. The symptoms you have described of severe headache since last 8 days that is not much relieved by pain killers can be due to migraine headache.It is a form of vascular headache and is by high stress periods,hormonal changes,irregular sleep,food habits,bad lifestyles etc..There can be various triggering agents. Another possibility is of that it can be mixed tension migraine that is a headache with features of both tension(stress)and migraine headaches.Stress is an important causative factor of such headaches.Tension headache can be caused by tightened muscles in the back of the neck and scalp or in most cases the cause is unknown. Other less probable causes can be neuralgia or temporal arteritis. The CT scan usually comes out to be with normal report & this pain is not much relieved by pain killers.Treatment includes NSAID's like (actaminophen,ibuprofen), Triptans such as sumatriptan (Imitrex), rizatriptan (Maxalt). The triptan with the longest history of use is sumatriptan (Imitrex). Other medications that can be prescribed are:selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), atypical antidepressants, tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs). So I advise you to make an appointment with your doctor/psychiatrist for confirmation of diagnosis & hence these above described medications accordingly.This will help you greatly to provide relief from this severe headache. Hope this helpedPlease use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to meMy goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.Thank you.Kind RegardsDr.Josh
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question.Can you please let me know if you have had any tests done as yet like a CT scan or MRI?Do you have any other medical problems?Are you on any medications for anything?Please let me know.Regards
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Dr Sh
I had a CT scan on Friday and it came back clear.
I am only on antibiotics at present as I also have a slight stomach bug.But the headache has been consistent for 8 days straight and in the same place.
Back lower left side above the neck. It hurts to touch my head. The pain is a continuous throb.I have tried pain killers, hot flannel on back of head, and a few more things but nothing is working.I was thinking to book In for a head massage but I don't know if I can handle the pain.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 6 months ago.
Are you a laid back type of a person or a person who would get anxious easily?Are you on any medications for anything or any supplements?Please let me know.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi I am kind of laid back at home but also very much on my feet and busy at work as I am an operations manager in restaurants.No other medication other than the antibiotics I mentioned earlier.
I don't get headaches and this is a first for me to experience such pain.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your response and sorry for my late response.Just a few more questions.Is this headache associated with nausea?How is your sleep?Does your headache ever wake you up from your deep sleep?Have you been a little more stressed out recently? Do you think stress could be a factor in causing your headache?Please let me know.Regards