Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Board Certified MD
Experience:  15 years' clinical experience
23744323

I am 74 yrs old and having problems with my ankle on the leg

Customer Question

I am 74 yrs old and having problems with my ankle on the leg I had a knee replacement.
I am almost flat footed and wear shoe with good arch supports in them. I have a burning pain from the arch up around the ankle bone and then up the side of my leg. I have one blood veil that is popping out over the ankle. It has been X-rayed and the word tendinitis came up in the conversation. Doctor sent me home with no advice on how to heal this problem. What can I do?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Burning pain suggests likelihood of local nerve injury.Posterior tibia nerve can get trapped causing symptoms.Xrays are not useful to detect nerve problem.Vein will not cause such problem.Tendinitis will cause different type of pain and obvious tenderness at the attachment of the muscle to the bone.Nerve conduction test will be ideal to diagnose any nerve related problem.Physical therapy and proper shoes are still mainstay of the treatment.Steroid injection can be tried at the site to reduce inflammation.You can try following exercises at home:http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/foot-heel-pain/tarsal-tunnel-syndrome/tarsal-tunnel-strengthening-exercisesBest wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 6 months ago.
HelloDo not start exercises at home.I am a double board certified US doctor and have run centers that address this problem.YOu need to first see an MD of physical medicine and rehabilitation.They can to the testing in the office.You might also need an MRIThey are experts in what therapy you need, and will give you guidance or a physical therapist first, not home exercises, so that you do not further hurt yourself.The medical treatment for nerve pain is typically gabapentin or lyrica.And other choices.The PM&R doc can help you with that as well.Please click a positive here.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.You can start easy exercises at home without problem.However you will need to see a neurologist for further evaluation.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/