Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Arm suddenly turned hot and red

Customer Question

Arm suddenly turned hot and red
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!What part of the arm turned red?Is it sore to the touch?Do you think that you may have had a bite ( spider, snake, other?) How quickly did this happen?Do you have any nausea?Does it hurt?Is it swollen?What is your age?Any medical problems? Diabetes? History of any clotting disorders?Can you provide a picture of the arm?I will get right back with you >> this added information would be helpful...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please see photos. **NOTE : tiny bumps on upper arm are NOT related to whatever is happening right now. I have those on both upper arms and have for years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What part of the arm turned red?
> Upper arm and lowerIs it sore to the touch?
> No, feels like it is burning though. Like someone is pouring hot water all over my arm.Do you think that you may have had a bite ( spider, snake, other?)
> I was bit yesterday by a mosquito, on the arm of that hand. It went down very quickly afterwards. Also have a small cut on hand of that arm.How quickly did this happen?
>All of the sudden. Nothing significant happened. Just laying in bed and all of the sudden felt burning sensation and saw redness.Do you have any nausea?
> NoDoes it hurt?
> In the burning sensation sort of way, yes.Is it swollen?
> I'm not sure.What is your age?
>26.Any medical problems? Diabetes? History of any clotting disorders?
>Had a blood clot in lung two years ago. No diabetes. Have a brain condition called Intracranial Hypertension. Have asthma. No other medical issues.Can you provide a picture of the arm?
Picture attached.Thank you.
Hello again,I reviewed the photos and it appears to me that you may have an infection spreading just under the skin...This if the case is an infection known as cellulitis ..If cellulitis then you should be seen tonight at the ER..They may check some blood on your > a CBC = complete blood count..I suspect that you may get an antibiotic shot and a prescription for oral antibiotic course and instructions to follow up with your doctor I hope that this is helpful for you!Let me know if you have further questions or discussion!I will be happy to get back with you!If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD
Thank you for the pictures and the clinical information... with history of the blood clots to the lungs I would also have concern of possible arm DVT BUT it does not strike me as the appearance I would expect.. ER may check for this as well such as D-dimer test and ultrasound may be done..I more think that you have a case of cellulitis and need antibiotic treatment in your case... Your doctor's exam and supportive tests ( CBC, D-dimer) should be done to confirm diagnosis and go from there.I would NOT wait until tomorrow..Good luck ! Get well soon ! Best Regards!Anthony Bray MD