khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

What is Proprioneum bacter? It was found in tissue samples

Customer Question

What is Proprioneum bacter? It was found in tissue samples in my left shoulder. Last year had shoulder replaced. Movement has been very limited and painful. It was thought that the rotator might be torn. I had is scoped and the only thing found was a lot of scar tissue. The Dr. took 4 tissue samples 3 came back negative and the 4 had this bacter.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  khagihara replied 8 months ago.
Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) is a non-spore-forming, anaerobic, gram-positive bacillus. It is of low virulence and therefore can be a commensal in the lipid-rich sebaceous follicles and deep layers of the skin, conjunctiva, external auditory canal, respiratory tract and intestinal tract. P. acnes mostly colonises the pilosebaceous follicles in the skin of the upper-body, especially the head, neck, shoulders and axilla. Pathogenic activity of the organism has, however, been shown in conditions such as meningitis, septic arthritis, osteomyelitis, chronic prostatitis and sarcoidosis. P. acnes expresses proteins required for cell-adherence, which are also antigenic and therefore capable of initiating an inflammatory response of the host’s innate immune system within the joint. P. acnes also secretes cytotoxic chemicals and enzymes designed to degrade body tissues, which can be harmful within the shoulder capsule. Furthermore, P. acnes is also able to secrete and live within an extracellular polysaccharide biofilm aiding joint colonization and micro-colony formation, as well as avoid phagocytosis and survive macrophage engulfment. The combination of the bacterium’s upper-limb distribution and role in prosthetic joint infection is now forcing shoulder surgeons to consider P. acnes as an ‘orthopaedic pathogen’.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Its sounds good if I could understand all the medical lanuage.
I will translate it in laymans' term. The bacteria can live in skin gland, white part of the eyes, the ear, wind pipe, and gut without causing any symptoms because it is weak bacteria. It makes colonies mostly in the skin glands of the head, neck, shoulders and underarms. But it can cause meningitis, septic arthritis, osteomyelitis, chronic prostatitis and sarcoidosis as well. It can also cause inflammation in the joint because it causes toxic chemicals and enzymes which destroy which can be harmful within the shoulder capsule. Furthermore, it can produce produce some material and make colonies under the material to protect itself so that the immune cells can't attack it easily. This bacteria is considered as harmful bacteria in artificial shoulder joint.