Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My husband has been having sever bouts of vertigo that last

Customer Question

My husband has been having sever bouts of vertigo that last for hours along with vomiting. We've been to the ER twice, and had a CT scan which was clear. Would this scan show any tumors or lesions on the brain or is this test useless for diagnosing or ruling out this condition. We aren't getting any answers as to what is causing this.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 7 months ago.
Hello!When did he first start with the vertigo?It may be a viral labyrinthitis ( viral infection affecting the inner ear )It could be inflammation affecting the vestibular nerve Meniere's disease probably less likely as that may not have such rapid onset usually and tends to be accompanied by ringing in ears and diminished hearing ..I would advise that he get in to consult ENT specialist for further evaluation...ANTIVERT is medication that may help reduce severity of vertigo and nausea ...Valium also may be helpful..I hope that this information is helpful for youLet me know if you have further questions or concernsI will be happy to get back with youIf my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedbackThank you and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He's been dealing with vertigo and vomiting for two months. We were referred to an ENT and she basically told him she has no idea what was going on but he needs an MRI. I thought a CT scan would tell us exactly what an MRI would.
Head CT is good test but MRI does have higher resolution of soft tissues such as brain. A small tumor could be a potential cause ...I would agree that MRI would be preferred test in his situation but that head CT would pick up tumor in most such cases....so that is unlikely to be his cause ... Has he had audiometry testing ?Does he have any ringing ibn the ears at all or no??