Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Board Certified MD
Experience:  15 years' clinical experience
23744323

I am a 57 year old female. I am bipolar and take 200 mg Lamictal

Customer Question

I am a 57 year old female. I am bipolar and take 200 mg Lamictal and 125 Seroquel along with prn Klonopin, and recently stopped taking Latuda and Sonata as soon as symptoms began (2 weeks ago). I have almost constant tingling in my hands and feet. I was carrying heavy bags and running on cobblestone and lifting heavy things the week prior to onset of symptoms. Last week I awoke to burning hands but took a sleeping pill and it was gone the next day. The tingling is in all five fingers and toes. I have no weakness, numbness or pain, other than pins and needles (mild) I am not stressed out, well, I wasn't until this happened. Now my blood pressure is up for the first time in my life. My doctor says it can not be a pinched nerve causing tingling evenly in hands and feet, that I would feel the pinch in my back or shoulder where the nerve is compressed. Is that always the case? I cannot get in to see a neurologist for 5 more weeks. I have had extensive blood work and no vitamin deficiencies, hormone issues, thyroid issues or diabetes. I have gone over all my meds with my psychiatrist and he gave me a prescription for Neurontin to get me through the next five weeks. I am really concerned. My doctor's office suggested I go to the ER bc at least I could get in to see somebody. Does this all sound serious?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.The symmetric distribution of the symptoms is concerning.Suggests definite neurological cause.Peripheral neuropathy can be caused by the autimmune nerve damage.Medical withdrawal from latuda and sonata also can cause such symptoms commonly.Usually tend to improve gradually over time.Spine problem is also possible if involving spinal cord for example.Degenerative neurolgical disorders like multiple sclerosis should be borne in mind.However this is not urgent sine no significant worsening.Neurologist consultation and then nerve conduction test with EMG will be required.These tests cannot be performed in the ER.So ER visit not needed for now.Gabapentin may be tried meanwhile.Better discontinued before EMg testing. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/