Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience

My mom has what apears to be a vascular problem,her legs are

Customer Question

My mom has what apears to be a vascular problem,her legs are swollen, discolored(darkened), numb. A vascular dr. did a test and found no blockage in her legs or veins. This is very painful. Some dr. her PVP sent her to wants to Do a nerve block, but we don't know still what is causing this issue. Has gone worse, going on for over a year. Her feet are numb, this is happening in both legs and feet. We are at our wits end. No doctor seems to care or be interested i, helping us figure out the cause. I feel like they are all about money and her insurance while she suffers, walking on a cane for a year now, her quality of life decreased drastically. We dont know where to go next for help. Please what do we do, where do we go, who can help us? We are in Atlanta, ga. Nueropathy, neuralgia have been suggested, but they are guessing and she is getting worse. She has been falling as well, we are just lost on what to do.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 5 months ago.

Has she had nerve conduction tests (NCV/EMG)? This test will tell you if there is nerve damage and at what level. They should do both her legs and her arms to look for evidence of a peripheral neuropathy.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She has a nerve ending test I don't recall the results, but she wasn't referred to anyone after that. Do we see a neurologist, vascular dr, etc????
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 5 months ago.

Try to get the results of the nerve test. If normal, see a vascular surgeon first as she might have venous insufficiency which can cause these types of problems even withouit blockages in the arteries or veins. If a vascular surgeon says it is not vascular, consult with a cardiologist to make sure it is not from heart failure. At the end of her work up, if no answer is found, a neurologist can do a nerve biopsy to make sure she does not have a small fiber neuropathy.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you so much
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 5 months ago.

You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best for your mom.

If you have no more questions, please don't forget to provide a positive rating.

Best wishes,

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

Hello. If I was helpful to you, please provide a postive rating so I get credit for my time.

I appreciate the acknowledgment.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

Thank you so much.