Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have a small Ischaemic vein in the left frontal lobe, and

Customer Question

I have a small Ischaemic vein in the left frontal lobe, and thickening in the carotid arteries. I would like to do some long distance flying o/s but I am afraid that the cabin pressure in the plane might cause some damage to the Iscaemic vein. I suffer with "short" headaches everyday and have had two very painful quick pains that travelled from the left side to the right side which did leave me a little "fuzzy" for a few minutes. My blood pressure also skyrocketed at this time. Am I fit to fly or not? I can't seem to get a straight answer from my GP. I am 67 years old. I have had DVT in both legs at the same time about 4 years ago, before I was diagnosed with the above two conditions.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 7 months ago.
Hello!Ischemic vascular disease would not be a contra-indication for you to fly ...So you are OK to fly ..yes to that Do keep watch and Best control that you can to blood pressure ( best to keep under 130/80...)Lower cholesterol and keep on your prevention aspirin of course ...I hope that this information is helpful for youLet me know if you have further questions or concerns I will be happy to get back with youIf my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedbackThank you and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thankyou for your reply. I guess what I am actually asking is, can the Ischaemic vein rupture with different pressures and what are the consequences of having this condition.
Hello again,I suspect that you mean that you have an ischemic ARTERY and it sounds the anterior cerebral artery from your description.. If you had an aneurysm that may be a reason to not fly but not ischemic arterial disease ... It sounds that you have been described to have atherosclerosis of the carotid arteries and the anterior cerebral artery... These changes would NOT be reason to tell you not to fly ... So OK to fly ... Let me know if you have further questions or if we need further clarification..I will be happy to get back with you!Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** forward to my next holiday.
You are very welcome!Take Care !Anthony Bray MD
Please remember to leave positive feedback on your page as this allows me to get credit .. Thank you very much!Best Regards!Anthony Bray MD