Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Over the past couple of days I've had a sudden onset of pins

Customer Question

Over the past couple of days I've had a sudden onset of pins and needles feeling in my right leg only, mostly in the foot, but a bit in the calf area as well. I travel a lot, so am constantly on planes and in bad positions. I'm 40 years old and male. I am 5' 9" and about 170 pounds. It is not painful, but very distracting and annoying. About a week ago I pinched a nerve in my right shoulder blade area, but I don't see how that would relate. I have a lot of tightness in the shoulder blade area due to a bit of stress and travel. What could be the cause of this sensation? Any advice to relieve it? Could it be a back issue? When I Google I see hits for Type 2 diabetes, but there is no family history of that and I do not have any other symptoms. Anything I can test for at home? I'm about to fly to Australia so I can't run to the doctor prior to going. Thanks.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question.This is most likely related to travelling a lot and sitting and lying in awkward positions causing pinching of nerves for some period of time that is relieved when there is no pressure on the nerves.Stress of travelling could also be a contributing factor.Diabetes would not usually cause nerve problems to start with.It is usually only when one has had diabetes for a long period of time that one starts to get nerves problems.I do not think that it is a back issue, unlikely to be that considering your history.At home, I would recommend that you should have routine blood tests which would includes tests for diabetes and other routine blood tests like lipid profile, kidney and liver function to name a few.Meanwhile I would recommend using over-the-counter vitamin B12 supplements that can help at times with nerve problems.This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner.Kindest regards
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 10 months ago.
This session is open for any further questions that you may have. I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.Kindest regards