Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I am a medical doctor, but neuroIogist consultation is not

Customer Question

I am a medical doctor, but neuroIogist consultation is not available in my area.
I suffer from numbness in the small finger of left arm and little finger of left leg, it happened occasionally in last years, but became more persistent, almost permanent in last month, probably related with multiple stress situations.
Sensitivity is normal, strength is weakened in the little finger of foot, but normal in the arm. General muscular tonus and strength seem with no change, I use to lift weights from time to time.
I suffer from occasional rises of AD, once per month or less, up to 150/100. The AD rises fast and may last several minutes to half hour, usually I take 12 to 25 mg captopril to control it. I do not use any other drugs on permanent basis.
I have periods of sleeplessness (not recently), during which I may have AD rise at night along with tachicardia, resolving within minutes spontaneously. During this periods, which may last weeks sometimes, I feel dizziness or lightheadedness during the day.
I am 52 years old man, with good overall health, athletic and active. Blood sugar is normal as well as the rest of main blood parameters.
I had head contusion in school years with temporal loss of sight field (paracentral, bilateral), which was recurrent in next years after harsh physical activities/sports. Don't have this symptoms since many years.
Made CT scan few years ago because of long period of lightheadedness, was completely normal.Please advise.Regards,
Dr. Vadim Krol
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 7 months ago.
Do you mean little toe of the Left leg?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes. sorry misspelling
Have you had an MRI Dr. Krol?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. What do you think that symptoms may be? Its only parentesia, with no loss of sensitivity or strength. The little toe may be weak due to spinal nerve chronic compression, I suffered from lumbar problems years ago due to disc (sport) trauma. One day I may feel it more, another day it may almost disappear. But it is there. I would even say it is ulnar side of little finger and lateral side of little toe, but sometimes I feel numbness from finger to the elbow.
It is one of two things1)nerve impingement at two sites2)something intracranial like MS I am leaning towards nerve impingement. This would be common at your age and with lumbar injuries.I would recommend an EMG/NCS to find out which nerves are being affected
Thanks for this questionPlease don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it :)If you have more questions, just reply.