Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

If a person has meginoma in the brain, and it is growing in

Customer Question

if a person has meginoma in the brain, and it is growing in all directions as shown by an MRI scan, how serious is it and what would the best treatment be? The patient is a woman of 85 years age.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 8 months ago.
Hello!A meningioma is more often a non-cancerous type of growth within the skull adjacent to the brain.A small percent might be cancerous ..If it grows too large and presses on the brain or shows signs of spreading then it may need more aggressive treatment..Some meningiomas may be slow growing and simply watched over time..So the details of the characteristics of the growth determine the approach..At times surgery may be advised...Other times radiation treatment may be the best avenue of treatmentAs you describe this growth as being active and spreading and looking at the age 85 I would more suspect that radiation of the growth may be the better option for her case.. See the following reference also for more information>>http://www.webmd.com/cancer/brain-cancer/meningioma-causes-symptoms-treatment I hope that this information is helpful for you!Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.I will be happy to get back with you!If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards!Anthony Bray MD
I sent an offer for a live phone conversation if you would think that to be more helpful. ( That is an added service and not required by you of course..) If you have further questions or response to discuss here online that is fine as well !!
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 8 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to JA. I am an adult Neurologist and can answer your questions regarding meningiomas. I will put out the phone option, I can speak with you over the phone if you prefer that "premium" service, JA charges extra. If interested, just place your phone number into the box, and a time to call, if not now, and I will call you. If you have your MRI report, please upload it here minus her name, and I will go through the findings with you over the phone. Dr Frank