Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I woke up this morning sleeping on my right side and suddenly

Customer Question

I woke up this morning sleeping on my right side and suddenly had a sharp pain in my neck after stretching. I was unable to move with extreme pain/weakness in the back of my neck starting at the hairline down to where my neck meets my back. I laid there for one hour unable to move. Then getting up felt awful, I could even wash my hair or barely brush teeth or shower right. I had a hard time moving around and reaching things or getting in my car. I took two Advil and put ice for 15 minutes later in the day. Now, my neck feels weak in the back and almost feels like it trembles, feels weak if there is any strain at all. I must have slow movements or I'm very nervous to hurt my neck. I had torticolis when I was younger once after waking up and it last two weeks, I couldn't lift my head, had to be carried to a doctors office for X-ray and had to lay down most of the day as I couldn't hold my head up or barely eat. I have work and I'm afraid this is similar, but not as bad. Could it be? I don't want to wake up worse but my neck feels really tight.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.There are a couple of possibilities as far as I am concerned.Muscular injury or a pulled muscle is the most likely cause of your symptoms.It could be that you pinched a nerve in the neck due to a disc that could have bulged and pressed on a nerve. The test to confirm this particularly diagnosis is MRI of the neck. So if your symptoms persist you must be seen and have a MRI of the neck to confirm this diagnosis.Meanwhile I would continue doing what you are already doing i.e. advil, rest and ice. At times heating pad or warm water bottle may be of more help than ice.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end at the top right hand corner.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is a pulled muscle, what is the average healing time? I work and have a lot of activities planned this week but it's been so restrictive today due to pain so even doing normal things like standing from sitting or driving is a challenge.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response.Severe pain usually only lasts for a couple of days or so but complete healing can take two to four weeks to happen.But healing time varies from person to person and the severity of the injury.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end at the top right hand corner.Kindest regards