DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years

I have both swollen ankles and extreme pain in my left leg

Customer Question

I have diabetes and severe arthritis
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 5 months ago.
Hello!Over what period of time has the swelling in your ankles occurred ? No redness? No sudden worsening of swelling on one side ? When did pain start on left?Is left leg / calf swollen ? If this is the case then a major worry could be a DVT ( blood clot ) of the left leg ..If that is a possible concern then you should have immediate attention to the leg --- ER might run tests to check for abnormal clotting ( D-dimer test ) they may check leg vessels with ultrasound of leg....I'm sending portion but still working on answer to you....
The general swelling of both ankles may be caused by one of several possible problems ...Venous insufficiency is condition of leaky valves of deep veins of legs .. This type may get better overnight and worse during day or with standing ..keeping feet elevated might help this cause and compression stockings may help this cause ....
Other causes of swelling may relate to the health and effiency of your heart and kidneys ....these causes may call for more thorough evaluation of these organ systems and these may respond to diuretic treatment as possible help as regards ***** ***** ...These would imply usually more thorough medical work up but if sweeping gradual then less urgent ...
I hope that this information is helpful for you Let me know if you have further questions or concernsI will be happy to get back with youIf my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedbackThank you and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 5 months ago.
HelloWith pain on the one leg I urge you to to to the ER.Now.With the swelling you are naturally at risk for blood clot.This can cause a clot to the lung.That is dangerous.Go for an evaluation and ultrasound now.I am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed. I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed [] and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.