Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Need some advice/help with some possible DVT. My issue is right

Customer Question

Need some advice/help with some possible DVT. My issue is right now that I can't exactly go see a doctor about my leg but after some research, it seems as if my injury is dvt. A little background - I'm in the military and went through a course about four months ago which badly messed up my IT band. I made a makeshift band for it which I placed right below my right knee cap during the course. It helped my knee pain but in turn caused some serious pain behind my knee. After the course, I rested for about a month and most of the pain went away. Over the past three months I have completed other courses with little to pain and these were pretty physically demanding courses. Now about three weeks ago, I was doing a difficult physical event for the military and after, behind my right knee started killing me. I could barely walk for a few days and I thought I just had possibly reinjured that area. Now three weeks later, behind my right knee is still hurting and I leave again in a week for another course. Does this sound like DVT? The only reason I think it is is because four months ago that makeshift band could have possibly dug into the back of my knee and caused some sort of clot. But it's weird it didn't hurt at all the past three months and then popped up again out of nowhere and this time was the worst. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Basically I am wondering what you think this injury is? Is it a muscle or tendon problem? Or is it a blood clot? It's an achy pain that throbs most of the day.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 7 months ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.DVT commonly occurs in the thigh area, however, it can occur in the calf as well.But DVT presents with pain and swelling in the calf, the swelling is not mild but severe and there is bluish discoloration of the leg and the pain is especially evident on dorsiflexion of the ankle.In your case, I doubt that this is DVT, since there is no swelling in the calf and the pain is localized to the behind the knee only. In DVT the pain would have been in the entire calf and swelling would have been obvious throughout the leg.However, you can get a venous doppler of the leg to be sure.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 7 months ago.
Let me know if you have further questions.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sounds good, thanks for the reply. Sometimes the pain radiates over to my upper calf but by upper I mean very high up just below the knee. However, when I flex my calf it hurts a little bit. Unfortunately I can't see a doctor about this and get any sort of exam otherwise I would. But yeah for the most part, the pain is pretty centered right behind the knee and it was crippling at one point. As long as it's not a blood clot I don't mind it and can push through it.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 7 months ago.
This can be a meniscus or posterior cruciate ligament injury. And pushing it through can cause more damage. So, getting it checked privately just to rule out ligament injury is an idea.But rest assured this does not sound like DVT.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to JA. I would say that your recurrent knee pain is still probably ITB syndrome, rather than a DVT or a meniscus or ligamentous injury within the knee capsule. Those injuries within the knee are in structures that are highly vascular, so injuries are invariably associated with knee swelling, as well as laxity in certain movements. You would need a doctor to exclude those with the knee exam, but historically, if you have had ITB Syndrome, and you are a runner, or have to go through some grueling training program, most likely you just have reinjured your ITB. I know you mentioned the back of your knee (popliteal fossa) but that can happen in ITB syndrome as well. Alternatively, there is a baker's cyst that can form in the popliteal fossa, this is something you might feel as a bump in that area. Bakers cysts are seen in obese individuals, and I assume you are not that. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help. If you have had any xrays, upload the report and I can explain it to you. If satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work. Or just write back. Thanks *****