DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

Can dementia impede a person's ability to recover from physical

Customer Question

Can dementia impede a person's ability to recover from physical injury? A family member suffering from dementia fell and fractured a rib and injured a vertebrae in her back. She had been suffering from dementia for a few years and was doing okay. But after the fall she went steadily down hill (suffered failure to thrive) and passed away 6 weeks later.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 7 months ago.
HelloIt is the age, and the general deterioration.This makes it very hard to recover from an injury fully.Any 81 year old would have that difficulty.Dementia makes it even worse.The bran is degenerating and depending on the extend of deterioration, all bodily functions deteriorate slowly as well., OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.