Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery, 5 years experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am 60 years old and suffer from lower back pain. At night

Customer Question

I am 60 years old and suffer from lower back pain. At night I have severe cramp in both legs from my toes right up through my hips and into my groin. The cramp comes in waves and last up to half an hour. What is the cause and how do I deal with this?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 7 months ago.
Hi and welcome.This is most likely nerve pain due to compression of nerves supplying your whole leg in the spine where it exit through small formina. I would suggest you to visit a pain physician or a neurosurgeon for thorough examination and imaging of spine as you might have herniated intervertebral disc. They can offer you treatment for this as well as medications for pain relief. You need hydrocode for pain and full examination for further treatment You might need surgery for this. Physiotherapy wold help and apply ibuprofen gel over the affected area.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 7 months ago.
Let me know if you have further questions.Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.