Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My daughter had a head MRI and vision disturbances

Customer Question

My daughter had a head MRI for headaches and vision disturbances last week and has been referred to see a neurologist this coming week ASAP for a lumbar puncture and evaluation. NOBODY has told us the results of her MRI. We know she has intracranial hypertension and papilledema from the exam done by the ophthalmologist. What are the possible causes for this situation to be so urgent?
JA: Your nerves are the communications system for your body so you are doing the right thing consulting our Expert about anything to do with them. Losing comms is not good. Is there anything else important you think the Neurologist should know?
Customer: She has a history of white matter brain lesions diagnosed by MRI 10 years ago. No cause was ever discovered for this.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Neurologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!Psuedotumor cerebri is the first diagnosis that comes to mind from this history.( this is not a true tumor but Too high of pressure of the cerebrospinal fluid ) Too high of intracranial pressure would cause headaches and papiledema ( and visual disturbance) Seeing neurologist for lumbar puncture to check opening pressure would help in diagnosis .Treatment would usually be with a diuretic to reduce intracranial presure . White matter lesions could raise concern of multple sclerosis BUT this would have probably been thoroughly discussed with you/ her if that was consistent with her findings ... It may be small isolated white matter lesions of uncertain significance . What is your daughters age? I hope that this information is helpful for youLet me know if you have further questions or concernsI will be happy to get back with you If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedbackThank you and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD