Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery, 5 years experience in Emergency Medicine.

What causes pain and weakness in lower back and legs. All 5

Customer Question

What causes pain and weakness in lower back and legs. All 5 lumbers are messed up. No problems since 2010 until recent. Alene makes it better. Treadmill is ok. Feels better when is starting to hurt when sitting or laying, esp in morning. By afternoon it is better. I have osteoarthritis diagnosed with bone scan.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 months ago.
Hi and welcome.As you have mentioned you have lumber messed up the most important cause of your symptoms is pressure on the nerves exiting through lumber vertebrae which supply your lower limbs and back area. This causes pain and abnormal sensations in the area of distribution along with weakness of muscles.I would suggest you to see a pain physician and have a thorough physical examination and he might offer you steroid epidural shot in your back which can decrease edema and inflammation and would improve your symptoms. Physiotherapy would be helpful. You can take tylenol and can apply ibuprofen gel over the area.Let me know if you have further questions.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 months ago.
Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.Regards.