Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

Can I be put to sleep spinal tap?

Customer Question

can I be put to sleep for a spinal tap?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to JA. Yes, certainly you can be put "to sleep" for a spinal tap. It is called conscious sedation. The usual medications is Versed (midazolam) which is a very short acting medication. It is a dissociative blocker, so you don't need to be intubated, etc. You will breath on your own, be kind of in la-la land, and wake up almost immediately after the lumbar puncture (we don't call it spinal tap anymore) is completed. That is the quick answer to your question, please get back to me if you have more questions and I will reply. I am not exactly sure why your doctor wants an LP for hemochromatosis?
Is he concerned about possible MS?
I can also call you if you want to talk about this on the phone. JA charges extra, but if you need that level of service,, just put your phone number and a time to call if not now in the offer box. Dr frank