Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

I strained my right oblique muscle about 9 days ago - not

Customer Question

I strained my right oblique muscle about 9 days ago - not exactly sure how. I was in significant pain for the first 3-4 days, but now after 9 days I am feeling considerably better and moving around again. What concerns me is there is still some swelling and numbness in the oblique area. Is this something I can expect to get better with a little more time?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 5 months ago.
HelloWithout an exam, that can not be said.The fact that it is getting somewhat better is a good sign, but not in all cases.Some injuries, particularly disc injuries, can heal while leaving structural problems in place.Then, years later, more severe problems lead to surgery.I have seen this happen numerous times.No one here will recommend that you don't have this checked out, as the site does not replace a doctors visit.Swelling is not a normal finding for simple muscle strain.Numbness is definitely not normal, and implies radiculopathy and possible nerve damage.I take it you have had no exam, no imaging, etc?