How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Frank Your Own Question
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 9000
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Frank is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm having chronic jiont pain and severe muscle spasms and

Customer Question

I'm having chronic jiont pain and severe muscle spasms and cramping
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me just a bit more information so the Doctor can help you best. For example have you seen a Doctor for this and if so, has there been a diagnosis?
Customer: yes I have been prescribed meloxicam (which is not effective). I was also told to take Magnesium for the cramping which I do, (also not helping).
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I also have trouble with sleepin more than 4 hrs at a time.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. DavidI am sorry you are having chronic joint pain and severe muscle old are you? are you a man or woman?you need more blood testing to check for rheumatoid arthritis which can cause severe joint pain and spasms. there are treatments for rheumatoid could have an autoimmune disorder which should be tested foryou could have fibromyalgia which can be treated with lyrica or should get blood potassium and magnesium tests to checkyou should get thyroid hormone levels should get MRI scans of your spine to check for pinched nerves or spinal stenosis which can cause some muscle doesn't sound like you have had these tests.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me: for using
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
do you have any other questions?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to JA. I am an Adult Board Certified Neurologist and will answer your question about cramps (fasciculations) and joint pain, The other expert is correct in his assessment, but you need a Neurologist to examine you and do some testing on your muscles and nerves, to give you a diagnosis. If you have seen a Neurologist, and received an EMG report, please upload that report minus your name (this is a public forum) and I can discuss the findings and treatment options. Do you have vascular disease, smoke cigarettes? Get back to me with this information and answer the questions from the other MD as they are important in deciding your condition. I will reply. Dr Frank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a 68 yo female (retired RN). I have not had any testing for RA but do have mild sympyoms including a nodule on my right forefinger.
My daughter has been diagnosed with fibromyalgia.
My last lab values in 9/15 were:
TSH 0.47
Mg 2.1 mg/dl
K 4.3 mmo/l (9/14
I am um unable to have a MRI subsequent to a SAH repair with clip in 1980.
I have no diagonosis of any vascular disease and do not smoke cigaretts but use marijuana intermittently. It is usually higher in the CBD component nd lower in THC. I find this helpful for pain and sleep.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
disorders such as polymyalgia rheumatica or polymyositis need to be considered, so if not done, a CK level, aldolase, and sedimentation rate. I would say unlikely that you have ischemic vascular problems as per your risk factors, a non smoker. The TSH and electrolytes are fine. The Neurologist would do the EMG, especially the needle exam to look at your motor units on activation, if there is a hyperrecruitment pattern the units are small and rapidly firing, then again, you are considering a rheumatologic inflammatory muscle disease as a reason for the cramping, so I would not be so concerned you cannot get that MRI if your neurological exam is otherwise ok. I hope that helps. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help and I will reply. If you get those lab tests, and need an explanation, just upload them and I will discuss them with you. If satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work. thanks Dr frank