Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience

The level of my degenerative discs ,bulging discs and the

Customer Question

The level of my degenerative discs ,bulging discs and the neural foraminal narrowing and central canal narrowing #1 what is the difference between neural foraminal and central narrowing.
#2 What would be my first issue to address to relieve symptoms but furthermore future problems?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 5 months ago.
The neuroforamina are the small bony canals that the nerves pass through on their way from the spinal cord into the body, including the arms and legs. Narrowing here results in pressure on individual nerves. Central canal narrowing refers to narrowing of the larger bony canal (i.e. the spinal canal) through which the spinal cord runs on its way from the brainstem down into the middle of the back. Narrowing of the spinal canal along its path often results in crowding of the spinal cord, which can affect any nerve in the spine, including nerves going into the arms, legs, bladder, bowel, etc.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 5 months ago.
You need to address your pain, of course, as this is something that significantly affects one's quality of life. You must also pay attention to any numbness, tingling or weakness in your arms (or legs) as this might indicate the presence of ongoing nerve damage. Similarly, if you experience any bowel or bladder problems, this might indicate crowding of the spinal cord and possibly future longterm damage. Bowel and bladder issues can also result from TBI, so your doctors would have to sort this out.