Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

I posted a question on April 6, which Dr. Bob answered. This

Customer Question

I posted a question on April 6, which Dr. Bob answered. This is the link:
It's necessary for background. I hope you can read through the typos.The following morning, she hadn't slept and it took hours to coax her into bed. She couldn;t make her body do the obvious things. She still couldn't drink, but she ate pieces of cut fresh fruit. She wasn't seeming subjectively distressed despite this weird mode of peration she was in. I only her a little distress a few times during the loner perserverating that preceded, when she said she did want to stop. It was bizarre and scary.I got her blood work from the Feb 27-29 hospital stay. There were some high and low readings. They are suggestive of kidney problems and even a heart attack. Also anemia.We got her to emergency right away, because she looked horrible after staying up the entire night perserverating at the bookcase.She was not agitated at the hospital--she went to the one we preferred. Nothing at all was done for her other than IV fluids. She ate all the meals that were brought, stayed one night, and came home.She started perseverating again at home. It was very bad. We finally gave her 1/2 MG Ativan and even that didn't stop her. Just endless reaching for a book and saying "there. that's it" and gradually pulling most of them onto the floor. She wasn't really reachable. She could not respond to a request that she turn and face me, or try to step away from the shelf. We eventually got her to let us sit her onto a wheeled office chair with arms, which I held behind her while my dad pried her hands from the bookcase. I noticed that in the chair, she was stiff like a board, not bent like we are when we sit. There was not hope of her walking to another room, so I made a bed on the living room floor and we slid her onto that. I covered her up and she sort of fell asleep. She was on her back and looking over right right shoulder, and her hands were frozen a few inches above her body, not resting on it. She eventually relaxed into a more normal sleeping position. He breathing sound like sleep, but her eyes were open. She slept for 3 or 4 hours and I kept watch. When she woke up, she believed she was in a hospital and was not impressed by there being no beds. It took 30 minutes to walk her to the bathroom with usual coaxing and waiting.She decided on her own to take a shower and it looked like a success. She couldn't figure out how to don pajamas so I helped with that. She actually ate a dinner my dad made and went to bed and slept til morning.Since then she has not had the perseverating or rigidity, but lives in a different world. In her world, there are people upstairs who are very demanding and criticise her for not doing things right.I'm going down tomorrow and will get her to a neurologist.Any thoughts on what is going on? I know it's not good. And how can I locate a serious doctor who is interested in getting to the bottoms of this and doesn't just prescribe Aricept?I heard about Dr. Moussa's work at Georgetown with promise for Lewy Body dementia. Does this sound like that?About the Feb 27-29 hospital stay. She went in with a head injury, was admitted due to disorientation, alleged became agitated and she shot up with haloperidol at least twice, on the 28th for sure.
The hospital didn't alert us to any of what's in the blood work.. In light of her swollen feet upon discharge (by a PA, not and MD, who didn't alert my dad), what does it look like?The first administration of haloperidol that I know of was at breakfast on the Feb 28th. There could been some the day before, but we don't have her records yet. The first bloodwork they did on the 27th already looks bad.I do have videos set to private which I could share, but I don't want to post the links here. If there is a private way to email them, please let me know.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 months ago.
This is Dr. Davidit doesn't sound like she has lewy body dementia which is a very rare type of dementiait sounds more like she has alzheimers dementiabut it sounds like you are not willing to accept that diagnosis.has she tried the aricept yet?has she had a brain MRI scan with contrast yet?