Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have had full body tremors months. I went to the ER,

Customer Question

I have had full body tremors for 6 months. I went to the ER, but they didn't have a neuro specialist. I am now waiting for an appointment. I suffer from depression for 51 years. I have deteriorating disk disease. I have pain in my arms and numbness of hands and feet. The tremors occur in my stomach, shoulders, chest and neck. Sometimes in the legs.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 7 months ago.
HelloOften this is due to the stress you have structurally, and that can go along with disc disease.It does not sound like seizures.There are other causes of tremor, such as familial or from other degenerativeneurological disease. That has to be ruled out by exam and imaging. Possibly EMG will be needed.Electrolyte imbalances and thyroid disease also need to be ruled out. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 7 months ago.
Hello I am an Adult Neurologist and will answer your question. In the setting of having pain bilaterally in your upper arms, and then numbness in the hands and feet, coupled to a nocturnal tremor, conditions that effect the central spinal cord have to be considered. A condition called syringomyelia, which is an enlargement of the central canal of the spinal cord, can cause these symptoms. A Syrinx can be the result of trauma to the neck, or can be seen in the setting of cervical disc disease, where there is compression on the spinal cord. That condition is called cervical stenosis, and can be made from even a cervical xray series if done correctly, although a cervical MRI is usually needed as a confirmatory test. In a cervical syringomyelia, there is a situation of "sacral sparing" where the numbness is not seen as much around the pelvis, but is distal in the feet. I assume that would match your symptoms. Please get back to me to discuss this further and I will reply. Let me know what they did for you in the ER. If you have reports, please upload them minus your name, as this is a public forum, and I will reply. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work Thanks *****
Harry. get back to me to discuss your problem if I can help Dr Frank