DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

I am looking /advise medical issue. I

Customer Question

I am looking for assistance/advise for a medical issue. I was in a car accident 5 yrs ago. I medical treatment and was ok'ed to return to work and normal life. Within the last year I've been getting pains and aches. Dr is assuming its fibromyalgia. I'm thinking that along with issues from the accident again. Dr has me on Lyrica and T4's. We have 2 referrals for rheumatologist's. Any other suggestions what to do? Where to look for help?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  dr abid replied 7 months ago.
Hi there ...Thank you for the questions ...If you have sudden bodyaches and pain , in some cases it has been seen that low levels of Vitamin D in body presents with such type of pain .I will suggest you to have Vitamin D Levels before labelling your case as Fibromyalgia .Regards ***** ***** luck.Please rate my answer as good service .Thanks .
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the quick response
I am currently taking a multi vitamin w 200IU of vitamin D.i have had 2 thorough blood work ups. We have tested my CBC, thyroid, kidneys, hormone levels, diabetes. I think everything a GP can check. Everything comes back normal. I am replay leaning towards problems down the accident again. I had triple whiplash.
Expert:  dr abid replied 7 months ago.
Yes one of the possibility could be that issues related to past accident , this is quite possible and also kept in mind .If all test came back normal than this is likely sequalae of accident .You should once consult With Pain management dr .Regards ***** ***** will be appreciated .Thanks .
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm assuming that is a rheumatologist? Is there any other avenues to look at in your opinion?
Expert:  dr abid replied 7 months ago.
If this is Fibromylagia than Rheumatologist is the right dr , if you are thinking this is somewhat related to accident related issues than Rhematologist is not the good choice .Regards .
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 7 months ago.
HelloIt is not two separate issues.The accident could cause disc problems in the spine, even years later.Many patients with this situation also develop fibromyalgia.See an MD specialist in physical medicine and rehabilitation.You need an MRI of the spine if indicated by exam, at the appropriate levels. Disc degeneration with a history of a car accident where everything was "OK" is also a common situation.Canada has a very good PM&R society and good doctors in this area.Rhematologists in fact, don't do much for FM other than meds typically.A physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor is likely to give you a more comprehensive program.A more comprehensive program is needed, including, lyrica, savella, or cymbalta. Meditation training. Stress reduction training, a graduated exercise program, and specific nutritional interventions.These PM&R doctors are trained in both.I am a double board certified US clinical doctor of over 20 years experience and I have run centers that took care of this type of problem.Please click a positive here.Find me anytime.See my premium services offer as well.Good luck.dt
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very much for all that information. I am from a smaller town in southeast Saskatchewan. My family dr has admitted he is not qualified to help me anymore. He has prescribed 600mg of Lyrica and T4's for the pain, which do nothing for the pain. I'm not sure where to go for medical help. Should I tell my family dr I want to c a neurologist?
I would ask for the PM&R doctor.See this sitehttp://capmr.ca/Other than thatAn internist or rheumatologist are more experienced in FM than most neurologists.Please, a positive, it is at the top of the page, that is important.Do that, and see my premium services offer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have 2 referrals for rheumatologist's in Regina,SK and it's a one year waiting list. I would like to find help before that
What is your question at this point?I don't think a neurologist will be as good or any sooner.If you are willing to travel, you might see a PM&R doc.Or I guess you might be able to "go private."We are really beyond the scope of your question I think. We can not find a doctor for you.Is there another question?Please click a positive...we are only paid PER rating. Not for time spent.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for all your help. I will do some research on PM&R in our area and take that to my family doctor. Thanks again
AnytimePlease click a positive!And see my premium services offer.