Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center
16855155

Ive been taking Xanax on and off months 2 milligrams.

Customer Question

ive been taking Xanax on and off for 2 months 2 milligrams. I ran out of my Xanax about a week ago and everyday my mind has been getting worse and worse. I cant concentrate, I am totally unable to remember anything. I work at a busy diner and I take an order an immediately forget what they said. I feel lik I have altheimers. is memory loss and concentration loss a symptom of Xanax withdrawal. how long will this last or am I losing my mind im very scared
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 7 months ago.
Yes, what you describe are typical symptoms of xanax withdrawal. Other symptoms include increased anxiety/depression, insomnia, and less frequently suicidal thoughts. They last about 7-10 days, rarely more than 10 days. You only took it for 2 months, and thats is fairly short. So, the withdrawal should not last very long.To ovoid withdrawal symptoms, it is best if the drug is tapered down by gradually cutting down on the dosage over a period of weeks. In any case, try to sleep well at night, stay well hydrated and avoid excessive caffeine intake Let me know if you need any further clarification
I hope this answer is satisfactory. Please complete the stars rating, as it is the only way we get credit for our service. You may still email me with questions on the same subject. Best wishes