Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I had had spinal surgery back I. Now have severe

Customer Question

I had had spinal surgery for broker back I. Now have severe constipation and also can only urinate after laying down in the evening. Could this be vagus nerve problem?
En?
Y
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to JA. Can you tell me more about the spinal surgery? When was it in relation to the severe constipation? Did you have a lumbar discectomy? Did anyone mention cauda equina syndrome? Do you have numbness in the groin or saddle area of your pelvis? This is unlikely to be a vagus nerve problem, as the vagus does many things in the thorax/abdomen area including heart beat regulation, and gastric motility. The vagus does not innervate your bladderThe possibilities are that you have a reaction to the medication (s) given during surgery, or you have ileus which can happen post-operatively due to the time of anesthesia, or, if you had lumbar surgery, you effected the nerves that control bladder activity and intestinal paresthalsis/rectal sphincters that come from the lumbar spine. Get back to me with more information, and we can discuss this further. Dr Frank
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
If you had lumbar surgery, and had a preoperative MRI report, please upload it minus your name, as this is a public forum. Dr Frank