DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years

I got hit in the shin with a softball 13 days ago. A large

Customer Question

I got hit in the shin with a softball 13 days ago. A large bump occurred where I was hit that is red and very painful to touch. My whole right calf swelled. The swelling has now gone down somewhat and the bump is not as painful. The bruising all the way down to my heel is subsiding. My leg mainly hurts when I am sitting, just standing, or going from a sitting to a standing position, but not when walking or running. Is it normal with this injury to have ankle and heel pain so far down from where the injury occurred, my right upper shin? Is it better to apply ice or heat? Sometimes my shin itches or feels like it is getting pulled.
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have continued to play softball with no pain while playing. The pain only occurs while sitting or standing still.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 6 months ago.
HelloThis indicates you might have damaged a vein, and formed a clot.Go get an exam.If they think so, an ultrasound.I would do that now. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily