Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

What causes off -balance?

Customer Question

What causes off -balance?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 6 months ago.
HelloIf you have arthritis, then proprioception is faulty.This means you don't get the correct signals for balance.Inner ear problems can cause it, for a variety of reasons.Brain problems.Autonomic nervous system problems, which is more common in diabetics.You need to have your internist investigate this list. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 6 months ago.
Hello Welcome to JA. I am a Neurologist and will answer your question. If you have mitochondrial myopathy, then you need to tell me your exact diagnosis (MERRF, MELAS, Kearns-Sayre?) as that might influence the reason you have ataxia, or a problem of your balance. There can be peripheral neuropathic reasons apart from your diagnosis as a diabetic with possible neuropathy, or you can have spinal cord or cerebellar disease as part of your Mitochondrial myopathy syndrome. Please get back to me to discuss this further with more information and I will reply. If you have the neurology consult report or any blood lab or emg data, please upload it minus your name, as this is a public forum, and we can discuss it. What is your family history regarding the mitochondrial myopathy diagnosis? Dr Frank
Hello. I am a Neurologist and might be able to help you with your symptoms effecting your balance. Please check my answer to you left a few days ago, and reply We can discuss this until you are satisfied. Dr Frank
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My sister had kernes sayeres
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Your symptoms can be attributed to having a mitochondrial myopathy, but you need to be tested by a neurologist. You may need a confirmatory muscle biopsy, or just genetic testing which is todays' standard for diagnosis. This syndrome is passed along maternal lines, so your mother most likely carried the gene for this set of symptoms, which can include visual problem, ataxia or problems walking, etc. I hope that helps. I can attach a webpage on Kearn-Sayres for your review, but you really need that neurologist to evaluate, then test, to get the diagnosis confirmed. Please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks dr frank