khagihara
khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

I have a hard time thinking about what I have to say.

Customer Question

I have a hard time thinking about what I have to say. Complete sentences and I either start in the middle of what I am trying to say. I also stammer over my words and say a lot of umms. It's like I have a misfire in my brain. Even if I write it down it still doesn't come out so clear. My tongue sometimes feels like it gets heavy or stiff. When I try to think everything is empty but when I am speaking my brain runs 900 miles per minutes. My processing is sometimes slow as well. As though it takes me awhile to process what someone has said or what I have read. Please help because I want to help my issue.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  khagihara replied 7 months ago.
How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? When did it start? Is it consistent? Is it getting worse? Any other symptoms such as numbness, tingling, weakness? Does anything make it better or worse? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am 66 in tall and I weigh about 141. Most of the time I fluctuate between weight. There was a time ago that I did lose about 15 lbs from stress but at that time I was 160 lbs. It may get worst throughout the years and maybe not because it's manly noticeable when I talk in front of people but it's a mixture of nerves but not completely. It has always been like this. Especially the umms. I use to be in speech therapy when I was a kid at the school house. I do have a little numbness and tingling and weakness but not all the time and it's in spurts. I'm unsure if it's relevant to the brain because it's not at that time. My father studders. My mom ADHD or add. No surgeries. But I do not know much about my family history. However, I noticed my daughter has a hard time comprehending and struggles at school. But do not know the cause. I take adderall to help me focus but it still do not help with anything other than it allows me to focus a little better. But not much. My neices also has that same issue of its hard for them to explain or state a complete sentence. When she talks it never makes sense.
Adderall causes speech disturbance. Did you have the problem before taking Adderall?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes. I just started taking it about a year and a half ago
When did it start?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm at work
Did the symptom start when you started to work?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I am sure I was born with this as I had to go to speech in third grade
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think I have a cognitive problem where I forget words or mix them up. I was thinking that my brain may not send and receive a signal properly or something like that. Plus I stutter in away.
It is not a neurological disease because you have had it since you were a child. The exact cause of developmental stammering is still unclear, although it is largely thought to be the result of the parts of the brain involved in speech being 'wired' differently.Genes are also thought to play a role in many cases of stammering, as around two in every three people who stammer have a family history of the condition. Research has identified several genes that may contribute to stammering that runs in families, although exactly how these genes lead to the condition is currently unknown. You should see your primary care doctor so that s/he can refer you to a speech and language therapist.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My father stutters but how does that effect my brain? The way that I have trouble sending out my messages as if I am dyslexia or something. I start my conversation in the middle of my sentences. When people are telling me something I miss hearing or receiving the main message.
Your genes are transmitted from your father. It could be a concentration problem due to ADD.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks
You are welcome. Please rate my answer. Take care.