Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

I fell and hit the ride side of my head, bump at temple area

Customer Question

I fell and hit the ride side of my head, bump at temple area and a circle blk eye that was deep red for 2 days now a yellow color, so that's healing but now I am have neck pain behind the right side.of head and still bump on temple? No dizziness, no side affects( nausea ect. just uncomfortable pain in neck and sometimes hard to hear, im assumimg due to swealing.Happend Friday early morning the 4/16/16
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 6 months ago.
Yes, the drainage from the temple contusion or bruise, which must have been fairly large and painful, drains to the eye, hence the periorbital ecchymosis (bruising around the eye, now turning yellow as the blood breaks down and is reabsorbed) and it can drain down behind your ear and down the jugular vein area. Also, it could be the neck to a large hit when you fell, and that is the reason for pain. The higher nerves which exit the neck (C2,3 and 4 roots) innervate the back part of your head, so if they were pinched from the trauma, you will feel back of the head pain, along the upper area above your ear, you may feel tingling as well? If you take a sharp pin, and tap the side of your head where it hurts, it may feel a bit duller than the other side (have someone tap for you). If that is the case, then the greater occipital nerve is pinched from the neck. All of this should get better with time. the body heals itself. But you can take NSAID medications, like Aleve, with food. Or if you have prescription pills and need instructions, just get back to me and I will reply. I hope that helps. If satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks Dr frank