Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

I am concerned about my symptoms thinking that it can

Customer Question

Hello, i am concerned about my symptoms thinking that it can be MS, i have had mild pins and needles in my feet and partial numbness of my right toe and body wide twitching for the past two years the twitches get pretty bad at night. , i also have an electrical shock sensation in my left ring finger. I have seen two neurologist which have run EMG and 3 MRI's 2 seperate at diffrent 6 month periods of the brain, one with contrast one without and the other of my cervical spine. Everything came out clean except for a buldging disc in my neck but nothing of concern. Should i ask for more test because the docters diagnosed me with ulnar and carper tunnel and did not have an anwser for the twitches both neurologist i saw were at seperate hospitols.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to JA. Did your neurologists mention BFS, benign fasciculation syndrome? If you have the reports of your studies and would like them reviewed, just upload them and I will explain them to you. You mentioned CTS and an ulnar neuropathy(?), at the elbow? Did the neurologists consider MMN, multifocal motor neuropathy, as a reason for your entrapment neuropathy and your fasciculations (twitching)? There are blood tests that you can run to diagnose that condition. If you have had any blood tests, please let me know. Ask questions and I will reply. Dr Frank
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He said that he had no explination for the twitches other than it may last for a year maybe for life, but that he was not concerned it was somthing sinister. The other nueorologist told me the same thing. I have not had any blood work done. My main concern is MS.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do 3 mri's rule out that possability and if not that would can explain the pins and needles and the constant body wide twitching sometimes even on my face.
You cannot have MS in the setting of two normal MRI's and a normal cervical MRI scan while you are having symptoms. There is nothing here to suggest MS. MS presents in almost 50% of patients with visual symptoms
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I apologize can you rephrase that anwser i am not clear on what you are trying to say.
It is highly unlikely that you have MS. The pins and needles sensation noted distally, in your feet, your hands? and around your mouth is consistent with the diagnosis of anxiety with hyperventilation. That causes a metabolic change and gives you paresthesis, or tingling. The diffuse fasciculations (twitching) especially when around the eyes, and face, is consistent with anxiety related fasciculations or BFS, benign fasciculation syndrome. You can get an evaluation for potassium channelopathy, which is sometimes positive for BFS
But you do not have MS, that is almost assured
I hope I was able to answer your question. Please get back to me anytime if I can help, and I will reply. If satisfied, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks Dr frank