Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

48 yr old overweight female knee is swollen on each side of

Customer Question

48 yr old overweight female knee is swollen on each side of kneecap partially depends on how much salt in diet . Losing sleep due to A lot of pain inside knee and behidn knee it doesn't bend as well in the middle of night or when sedentary too long. It feels better if I get up and walk around for 5 min or so. I can sit in recliner and slowly bènd knee for abt 5 min then I have Full range of motion and no problems walking. I can do a few flights of stairs when I happen upon them. I had surgery in 2000 to remove a lot of scar tissue inside knee from a couple of horses falling on knee between 14 and 16 yrs of age. Other than the obvious weight loss or pills what can I do to stop pain. I don't have insurance
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 7 months ago.
Can you please let me know what your height and weight is?Regards
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
5' 6.5" 220 am on diet
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question.Have you had any tests like x-ray or MRI of the knee done as yet?Please let me know.Regards
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not since I had the surgery in 2000. I don't have the money for insurance or those tests. I know weight loss will help and I'm working on it. I just need to know what I can do to ease the pain so I can sleep. I was doing fine until I slipped in a store in a puddle of water and went down on that knee...have problems that come that started about about a year after that
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 7 months ago.
Actually ibuprofen does not increase clotting problems. It actually thins the blood a little bit and helps if you have clotting problems.So you can still use ibuprofen off and on for your pain.I would recommend that you should take regular tylenol two tablets three to four times a day (maximum 8 tablets a day).You can take tylenol regularly everyday which will help with the pain that you are having. You can add ibuprofen when required or when tylenol has not been able to help fully.There is also another very effective way of treating this pain with an over-the-counter medication that comes by the name of capsaicin. It comes in various brands:Arthricare For WomenCapsagelCapsagesic-HP Arthritis ReliefCapsinDouble CapIcy Hot Arthritis TherapyPain EnzRid-A-PainSportsmedTherapatch WarmTrixaicinZostrixYou can use any of these brands that you wish and I have found them very effective.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end as that is the only way I am credited on here by the website.Kindest regards
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was wanting to know what I could do other than meds I have already done those. Is there certain exercises or stretches etc to help. My husband has a cousin who is a doctor and his sister is a nurse practitioner but I don't think it's a good ideal to mix in laws and medical mainly mine
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 7 months ago.
I am giving you a link to a video which will give you a number exercises that you can do.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syBi8gw4dsALet me know if you have more questions.I would appreciate a rating by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.Regards
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 7 months ago.
This session is open for any number of further questions.I would appreciate a rating by clicking on one of the stars as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.Regards