Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

Good day dr. I was looking after my cancerous father

Customer Question

Good day dr. I was looking after my cancerous father for 6 years. This meant that during the day I could take care of my children because fortunately my father switched his day and night. so when he was sleeping I could do my chores during the day and at night I could help him to bath, eat etc. I used to take naps in the chair in his bedroom but he had lung cancer and the slightest noise he made woke me up.
He has passed away now but I still can't get my day and nights switched back to normal. At 2 in the afternoon I am just so tired. I have tried to do some exercises when I feel drowsy during the day but it has the opposite effect - as soon as the sun sets I get hyper.
I have been to doctors and have been prescribed Zolpidem 10mg and when that didn't work Dormicum 15mg.
I had a hip replacement 6 weeks ago and that made it even more difficult to sleep.
I feel if I could sleep for a week without waking up maybe I can fall into a normal sleeping pattern again
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to JA. You have problems with your circadian rhythym, or a 'shift-wake cycle" abnormality as often seen in nurses, for example, that have to work split shifts. I will attach a pamphlet on this problem, from the National Sleep Foundation. But generally, to improve your sleep cycle, I would first suggest you follow good sleep habits. Medications are melatonin agonists that you take at night to build your circadian rhythym. Rozerem (ramelteon) is the most commonly used, effecting MT1 and MT2 receptors. Then to get your daytime cycle more awake or alert, you add Nuvigil (eumodafinil) in the morning. That should straighten you out. I would also ask if the passing of your father, obviously a traumatic event, has effected you psychologically and the stress is another reason you cannot sleep? If that is the problem, you need a psychologist to deal with grief. Please get back to me if I can help. I will reply. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks *****