Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

What causes chronic nerve pain in in lower extremities and

Customer Question

What causes chronic nerve pain in in lower extremities and knees
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 6 months ago.
Hello Welcome to JA. You have had an EMG, was it normal? If you have nerve pain (neuropathic pain) and a normal MRI of the lower back, a normal EMG, then you have to consider small fiber neuropathy as a cause. Small fiber is commonly seen in "autoimmune" diseases, like diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, sjogren's or sarcoid, crohn's etc. The diagnosis is made by skin biopsy. Get back to me with questions, if you have your reports and wish them reviewed, just upload them. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks *****