Janne Nissinen
Janne Nissinen,
Experience:  Neurology Fellow at University of California San Diego

Neurologist I took an MRI ( stand up machine only ) of

Customer Question

I took an MRI ( stand up machine only ) of the BRAIN
saw my neurologist this AM
advised the radiologist report mentioned a SPOT on the brain
he says come back in a year and we will take another MRI - could be due to migraines and headaches that I have and NOT to worry
I am worried
what do you think I should do ?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Janne Nissinen replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I’m Dr. Janne Nissinen, a board certified neurologist.Please note that this is an information request and does not substitute an in person visit to a physician or an official diagnostic process. The advice given here is for information purposes only. Please give me a moment to read your question and type an answer.
An MRI report would be very helpful if you have it on hand. However, typically the "spots" that Drs refer to are what are known as T2 white matter hyperintensities which are very common in everyone as we age. They are thought to represent wear-and-tear of the smallest of the small blood vessels of the brain and are of no consequence unless very numerous. The can also be seen in individuals with migraines and are of unknown clinical significance. They do not represent a tumor or major stroke and you should not worry. It is reasonable to repeat an MRI in one year to verify that no change has occurred, but most would not even pursue a follow-up MRI.
If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do. Thank you for using our site. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards,Janne Nissinen, MD