Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I had a quadruple bypass 4 months ago and now have mule and

Customer Question

I had a quadruple bypass 4 months ago and now have mule and joint inflammation which is sometimes unbearable in legs hips and lower back
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to JA. I would ask you what medication changes you had as a result of the bypass surgery? Were you put on a statin medication, like lipitor (simvastatin) or Crestor? You said "mule" in your statement, do you mean muscle? Has anyone done any blood work on you, checked your electrolytes, or CK and aldolase level for inflammatory disorders? Please get back to me to discuss this further. I will attach a webpage on statin myopathy, let me know if you think this fits. http://www.uptodate.com/contents/statin-myopathyDr frank
If you wish, I can call you and we can discuss this further, or just write back Dr Frank
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I didn't get anything from your answer
Sorry. What medications do you take? Does it hurt to squeeze your sore muscles? Dr Frank
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Atorvastatin at bed time met formin twice a day klo co m20 once a day carved lol 12.5 twice a day furosemide 40 once a day and lisinopril 2.5 twice a day
There are two medications that you take, that could be causing this problem of pain in your muscles and joints. Atorvastatin is well known to cause this problem. The article I posted to you earlier discusses this problem in probably too much detail. This medication is a "statin" and can cause muscle pain. You can do blood testing to see if this is the cause of your pain. Your doctor will check this, and then change your medication to another kind if necessary, or just ask you to stop it for a week or two, to see if the pain goes away. The second medication, metformin, can cause muscle pain as well. This problem is increased by taking more of the medication, so you might do better to take less. You need to call your doctor and discuss this problem. He can fix this problem. Get back to me if you have questions and I will reply. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks. ***** again, just ask your doctor if you could have "statin myopathy" from taking atorvastatin with or without metformin. Dr Frank
I put out the phone option if you wish me to call you, to explain this in more detail. Please just put your phone number in the offer box and a time to call if you want the call. Or just write back and I will reply until you are satisfied with this answer, ask questions. Dr Frank