Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

I have a rare shark fin like looking bone that is part humerus.

Customer Question

I have a rare shark fin like looking bone that is part humerus. It was found 20 yrs during an exray. Radiologist very excited to show me and told me only 1 in a million of Eastern European descent have this. I was 23 at time. I've been curious about this and wondering if I could get an answer on what it is and which Eastern European descent?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 6 months ago.
Hello welcome to JA. I am not sure if I can get that information. I can tell you that there is a disorder where you have primitive remnants of the branchial arches expressed in tissues in your neck. These structures are seen in the embryo during the second trimester of pregnancy, but disappear usually. The second arch corresponds to organs making gills in fishes, and in humans, occasionally there are slit like cuts seen in the neck region, left over remnants of this development. But I have not read of involvement in the humerus. Get back to me to discuss this further if I can help.. dr Frank
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not sure why my question went to neurology..........not helpful
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But thanks for the effort