Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I just had a dull quick pain Inot the back left side of my

Customer Question

I just had a dull quick pain Inot the back left side of my head. It came almost like a spasm, lasted a few seconds then left. Happened for a few minutes. Now I'm left with just some sinus pressure. Freaking out and trying not to panic. Mri 3 years ago was normal. Am I ok?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Yes you are ok. The most likely answer is mastoiditis, or an inflammation of the mastoid air cells behind the ear in the setting of sinus/middle ear congestion. That will cause the muscles in that area to go into spasm, giving you unilateral behind the ear pain. It can also be directly from congestion or infection within the mastoid sinus causing pain. Hard to tell from here, so you need someone to examine your ear, your sinuses and prescribe some sinus medication or NSAID meds like indocin depending on the situation. I hope that helps. Please remember to rate my service if satisfied. Dr Frank
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK that makes sense, because my ear also has twinges of pain. But nothing serious? My anxiety has me thinking the worst possible thing possible.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But the pain did start in the back of my head. Still a little dull pain there as well
Yes. this is nothing serious if you feel this is sinus based. You need someone to look into your ear and see if you ear drum is congested or reddish, if there is a fluid level behind it consistent with an exudative process from infection. It could have collected in your mastoid process and be the reason for the pain starting there, if you were laying down. Check to see if you have a fever as well. You may need antibiotics for your sinus condition if that is the case. Use saline nasal spray which is OTC, and get checked out, ok? Dr Frank
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm currently going on vacation with my family. I didn't have a check upnrecently. But my kids are also very sick. With an mri three years ago should I be worried something is wrong with my brain?
Even without an MRI, you don't have to worry about brain pathology, this description suggests an extracranial problem. You can also have a pinched greater occipital nerve, which originates from the cervical spine and can get pinched there or behind your ear as a source of this pain, but with sinus disease, this is highly unlikely to be any brain event. I hope that helps. you may need antihistamines/sinus medications for the airplane trip if that is the case, because of the pressure change. Not to worry. Dr frank
I hope I was able to answer your question. Please remember to rate my service favorably by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks Dr frank