Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Tegretol seem to work in day time but no inthe evening JA:

Customer Question

Tegretol seem to work in day time but no inthe evening
JA: OK. The Neurologist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Neurologist can help you best.
Customer: i have tn attack for a week.
I had tn diagnosed 2 years ago and 499 mg worked fine.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Neurologist before I connect you two?
Customer: Now the attacks are much more severe, 600mg of Tegretol a day works until the evening then stops.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Neurologist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to JA. If you are taking Tegertol (carbamazepine) 600 mg, are you taking it 200 mg three times a day? When do you take it? One issue with this medication is that the half life is relatively shorter. In the US, we have Tegretol XR, but actually there is a better medication. Trileptal (oxcarbazepine) is a first derivative metabolite of carbamazepine. It is similar, but not metabolized as strongly as carbamazepine. Therefore, dosing is once a day, and the blood levels for this medication stay much more constant. So that would be my suggestion, to ask your neurologist about a switch to Trileptal. Please get back to me to discuss this further and I will reply. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for my work thanks *****
Hello. please get back to the JA website to check your answer on your question regarding tegretol. Dr Frank