Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have had trouble with allergies that cause my ears to get

Customer Question

I have had trouble with allergies that cause my ears to get congested, and then I usually get vertigo because the fluid eventually affects my inner ear.
I have been taking Antivert (Mecklizine) for over 10 years. Usually 25mg each morning and sometimes another dose of it if I feel dizziness coming on later in the day.
Is Antivert okay to use long term?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 7 months ago.
Antivert ( meclizine) is an anti-histamine, a H3 blocker and is safe to use chronically at low dose.
There have been studies looking at chronic exposure to look at chronic exposure to blood lymphocytes as H3receptors are not well understood but no long term deleterious effects were found. I hope that answers your question. Please get back to me if you have further questions and I will reply. Or if satisfied, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks. Dr Frank
Claudia, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for my work thanks *****