Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details

Customer Question

***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm getting dull pain at the back of my head? Comes & goes but more after long driving? So you know I had a lymph mode on this side swollen which is a pea size goes up & down. I've had four blood test , seen a haemologist and she said I was ok. I'm getting really dresses as this dull pain is so frustrating
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Neurologists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
See above
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Getting quite stress about it. Keep thinking its a tumour :-(
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to JA. When you say "back of your head", can you be more specific? one side or both sides? There are knobs of bone/skull behind your ears, called the mastoid process, if you push in that area, does it hurt? In addition to the pain, do you have neck stiffness or problems turning your head? Any numbness or tingling on the side of your head? Tumor is part of the differential for this problem, but I would say it is about 1000 times less likely than many other things.
tell me what you can about it. How long have you had it? do you have sinus problems?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Only on the right side. Dull pain comes & goes. I had Botox 7 weeks ago & after this time my lymph node came up & behind my ear. Also in this time I loss my father in law & dog in the same week then I thought is it stress related.
No dizziness, no numbness.
It feels tender like someone beated me with a pat.
I can call you about this if you like, but JA charges more, let me know if you wish to skip the chat. There is a condition called GON, greater occipital neuralgia, which is a pinched nerve in the back of your head. It gives you one sided pain, and sometimes numbness or tingling along the scalp on that side of the head. I will send you a webpage on GON for your review.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 6 months ago. Take a look at this page. There is a procedure called a GON block, where you deaden the nerve in the back of your head and see if the pain goes away.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Great! Send page you don't think it's anything serious?
My neck and shoulders do hurt too but after I've slept strange or driving long hours
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Meant bat not pat
This is very unlikely to be a serious condition. You mentioned that BOTOX didn't help, but I would think given your story with your father in law (sorry to hear that) that stress related headache may play a part. There is also mastoiditis, that is an inflammation of the mastoid sinus, which is in that knob of bone. When the mastoid sinus is infected/inflammed, you can have enlarged lymph nodes in that area under the scalp, which you supposedly have.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What treatment can I have to help me Dr?
Well as I mentioned you might ask a Neurologist if you could try a GON block, as described on that page. If you are thinking mastoiditis, then you get a thin cut CT scan to look at your skull, the mastoid process with the air cells inside, and the brain/intradural space or area around the auditory nerve to see if you have a benign tumor like a meningioma or acoustic neuroma. Do you have any hearing problems.? Dr Frank
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also my blood test shown no infection so if it was mastoiditis would it show in my blood test?
My blood test was for the below:-
LIVER - 1st blood test enzymes were at 45, 2nd blood test went up to 90 then last blood test back to normal
Hepatitis a, b, c - Negative
I had a liver scan - nothing
This has been going on for 7 weeks.
I feel better In myself but this dull pain is annoying
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No hearing problems
I see. If you had an infectious cause of mastoiditis, you might have an elevation in your CBC (complete blood count, the WBC count might be 8 or 9K cells). But with mastoiditis, you usually have a sense of fullness in your ear, and your hearing seems muffled. so without hearing problems (sounds dull, ringing or tinnitus) , this is more unlikely. Just so you know. Tumor headache pain is mostly in the morning, noted with getting up in the morning, and then lessening towards the afternoon as you walk around. Tumor headache pain is usually a later manifestation of the tumor, as it has to enlarge to push on structures like the meninges to cause pain.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have no pain in morning just as the day unfolds.
Yesterday I had no pain
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also not sure if it's related but for the last 7 weeks I've been drinking 2-3 litres of water a day.
So alternatively in that sense where the pain is worse as the day unfolds, osteoarthritis of the cervical spine can cause cervical muscular spasm, but in that situation the pain is usually bilateral. The greater occipital nerve, which goes to one side of the head as we discussed, gets its origin from the high cervical roots, C2,C3 and C4, so you can have pinched nerves from your neck on one side giving you this pain
Drinking water should not give you head pain, unless you are getting blurred vision as well.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks for your help! You've really helped
you are welcome. good luck, come back anytime if you have more questions Dr frank