Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

Lately I have lost feeling in my left thigh above my knee. I

Customer Question

Lately I have lost feeling in my left thigh above my knee. I have had three spinal surgeries due to a doctor over treating me with drugs such as prednisone for ulcerative colitis and he made my young bones into old bones and I have osteoporosis. My thigh hurts but I cannot feel it when I touch the skin. It hurts on the inside but I am loathe to tell as really what can they do except give me a painful test and tell me I have some nerve damage or a pinched nerve and that is all. Could it me anything else. I tis not a tumor so??
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 6 months ago.
Hello Welcome to JA. What are you taking for the pain? I would agree that this could be a neuropathic pain problem, from a "pinched nerve". Possibilities are the LFCN, the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve or the saphenous nerve branch. So you are correct in that an EMG or nerve conduction test would be done by the neurologist to figure out which nerve. The reason is that certain nerves, like LFCN, might be better treated with an injection or a localized surgery to release the entrapment. And there are medications like gabapentin or pregabalin that you could take for neuropathic pain. About it being a tumor, did you get an x ray of the area? It is unlikely to cause numbness unless you have a neuroma, a benign tumor of the nerve. Please get back to me to discuss this further and I will reply. Alternative, this could be a L3 lumbar radiculopathy from the lower back if you have extensive disc degenerative disease/osteoporosis of the lumbar spine? Dr Frank
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do have radiculopathy down my right leg. I hope it isn't now in my left. Aqua therapy helps a lot. I take Marijuana and sometimes low m.s. contin twice a week for the pain. I did not walk for three years after the initial blow out of discs that was more painful than childbirth, I thought I was shot really. The pain is horrible at times and I cannot walk and if really bad I fall.
Have you looked at options like steroid epidurals? Or a spinal rhizotomy for pain control?
How can I help? Do you have questions on how to manage your lower back? Dr Frank