Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

There I am very concerned about my mum as she was

Customer Question

Hello there I am very concerned about my mum as she was diagnosed with a atypical meningoma brain tumour and she had her surgery 7 days ago and she is still in hospital and she is still very very drowsy and we may only get to talk to her for about 15 mins then she goes to sleep again.Can you tell me if this brain tumour is being or if it is cancerous. And they are now talking about doing radation but the surgeon that did the surgery said he got 98% of it out..Could you please tell me why she is still very very tired.And do you think that she will get thru this????Very very scared and worried about her!!!
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 7 months ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.At this point you will need to wait for the pathology report to know if your mum's tumor is benign or a cancer. The tissue the surgeon removed will be looked at and tested by the pathologist and -- in a few days -- they will tell you exactly what it is. It is not unusual for your mum to still be very drowsy after such a major surgery. Do not worry. It sounds like she is getting excellent care and the doctor are doing everything humanly possible to make sure she gets through this.Does this make sense to you?It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They have said that it's a atypical meningoma. Can you tell me if that is benign or cancerous.And she had her surgery about 8 days ago and why is it normal for her to still be very tired??
While there is no real grading system for meningomas. That being said, one that is called atypical (these are usually also designated Grade two) is thought to be somewhere between noncancerous and cancerous.Concerning her being tired there is no "normal" when it comes to brain surgery......If her doctors and nurses are not worried about her rate of recovery then you shouldn't be either.....Does this make sense to you?It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACSI wish you mother a rapid recovery.