Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.

On 3/5/16, I got injured at work boosting a patient up

Customer Question

Hi. On 3/5/16, I got injured at work boosting a patient up in bed. I felt a pull in my lower back and went to the ER to get evaluated. I saw four doctors at occupational medicine. I was prescribed three different types of muscle relaxers. None helped the pain. Occupational medicine released me to a spine and pain specialist that didn't listen to my entire story of what happened, he was in the office all of five minutes trying to throw me into different positions which caused so much pain and then said that I am fine and need to exercise more. I had an x-ray and an MRI. Both showed no herniated disks. The pain progressively got worse. I finally was able to see physical therapy and he showed be that I had growing muscle weakness in my left leg and foot. There is also growing neuropathy which I was not aware of in my foot and calf. That was on Wednesday last week. Since then where the pain is in my back when I touch my back I cannot feel it. I noticed this yesterday and today I noticed it is growing. I cannot sleep more that four hours a night. I cannot pick up even a jug of milk or put on my own shoes. I can only sit for about a half hour at a time and walk maybe 100 yards before having immense pain.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 6 months ago.
Hello Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read this preliminary answer and respond. Dr Frank
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello. You need to see a Neurologist for a neurological evaluation looking at your sensory systems to your legs, to review your manual muscle testing in the legs, check your reflexes, and make a diagnosis of lumbar radiculopathy, which is what this sounds like. I would ask to review your MRI or MRI report if you have it. If yes, then upload the report removing your name, as this is a public forum, and I can explain findings if found by the neuroradiologist. If you have the films and want a review, we can do that as well, just let me know. But anyway, it sounds like you will need an EMG to look at nerve root entrapment in your lumbar spine, which may not be seen on the MRI, that happens. The EMG will help in deciding on a treatment plan, if you need surgery, or if you can try epidural steroid injections, or PT. Please get back to me to discuss this further and I will reply. Dr Frank